Friday, November 7, 2008

Intitial Posting

I started a written journal over a month ago and recently started taking pictures of my cabin project. I have been inspired by (2) other cabin blogs and just tonight I thought this may actually be an easier way to journal my progress and share my activities with others. This will be my first blog and to be honest in the past I have felt they were lame but I would like to journal my progress.

I started this journey the usual way by looking for inspiration from the Internet and checking the local library. One book I know I have checked out before as this is not the first time I have desired to make a timber frame structure. I started by purchasing Jack Sobon's 1st book as it has a section on a simple 2 bay structure like I plan to build. I also bought plans from Grand Oaks Timber Framing in Paris, TN. The plans are detailed enough but I am modifying them slightly to include a front porch.

My plan is to dry fit the frame in the mow of my dad's dairy barn and then move it out to our property in MT this summer and raise it. I desire to use all traditional hand tools in the cutting of the mortise and tenons. I am hopeful that Clayton will have an interest in helping me on this project as I think it would be a fun experience for us to share.

No comments: